On July 3, 2007, I went into my orthodontist's office and came out with a mouth full of braces. Last week I went into my orthodontist's office and came out with a mouth full of straight, sparkly teeth.
Braces were not AS bad as I thought they were going to be. There were times where my teeth were rather tender, and I did develop some pretty impressive sores from the wires poking me. But, I didn't have to wear headgear or an expander or anything too scary. I'm glad I did it, and I'm happy with the results. To celebrate them being off, I've compiled a list of memorable moments from the past almost three years.
Biscuits and gravy: Since the 4th of July was the day after I got my braces on, my friends and I made a big breakfast of biscuits and gravy. (I made the biscuits, and Body made the gravy. It was delicious.) They turned out to be soft enough for me to chew without too much discomfort, so for the next several days, that's all I ate.
That time my bracket broke: When I was home last summer, one of my brackets broke. I called a local orthodontist to see if I could come in and get it fixed, and they said they couldn't help me because I wasn't their patient. They could only do it if it were an emergency. I don't really know what constitutes an emergency besides a broken bracket, but whatever. My mom found someone who WOULD help me, and when I went in, the girl told me first that they'd never seen that kind of bracket, and second, that they didn't carry clear bands. Then she said my favorite line: "So many people ask us for those!" And yet....they haven't taken the hint. All-star place, that. But hey, at least they glued my bracket back on. (And since they didn't have clear bands, I went with the next best thing--glow-in-the-dark.)
The worst taste I ever had in my mouth: When they put the braces on, they propped my mouth open with a small car jack and left it that way for who knows how long. You may not realize this, but having your mouth open for that long results in a NASTY taste. It took several washings-out before things were back to normal. Bleh.
That time I bit someone: When I had my appointments at the orthodontist, it wasn't unusual for me to be the oldest patient there, so I got to see a lot of little kids going through their adjustments. I feel like I was pretty mature about everything; I didn't cry or whine (to them), and I didn't get mad. This cannot be said of all of their patients. But then one day, as the girl was putting on my wires, I bit her! Just out of nowhere, my teeth clamped down on her finger. I guess she had it coming.
My orthodontist, the jokester: On the day I finally got my braces off, I went in to await the final judgment. Immediately upon declaring me ready, he started the process. Then he said, "Darn! I should've tricked you! I should've told you we couldn't take them off today after all!" HAHAHAHAHA. Real funny.
The retainers: Now, of course, I have begun my relationship with my retainers. These guys were clearly forged in the fires of Mount Doom by the dark lord Sauron himself. They are so tight on my teeth that I literally have to pry them out of my mouth with a metal bar. (And they taste good, too!)
This is what I get for having an easy time with my braces.
7 months ago
3 comments:
Haha, Dark Lord Sauron... Obviously William and I aren't the only ones who are watching LOTR again.
Ahhh, broken brackets. My most memorable one occurred when I was home, hanging out with my middle school best friend. We were in the living room drinking soda when my favorite song came on the radio. I started jumping up and down in excitement (I was in middle school, remember!), bumped into an armchair, fell over the side of the armchair, and whacked myself so hard in the face with my pop can that I popped a bracket off AND bent the wire so far up I thoguht I'd knocked out a tooth! I started shrieking while my friend nearly peed her pants laughing. Later, when my mom came home from work and I told her the story, she gave me a LOOK and said, "Megan...you're a retard."
Congrats on your teeth's new freedom! And glow-in-the-dark bands! I am so jealous! They didn't have those when I had braces. And I hear ya on the retainers. I hated mine and only wore them at night for about 2 months, even though I was supposed to wear them all the time. And guess what? My teeth didn't move or mess up. Take that orthodontist man! And I hated the lisp that came with them. Most people only lisped for a day or two, but I could never talk normal when I had them in. Oh, the memories.
PS: Hooray for blogging again! It warms my heart, and tickles my funny bone:)
Post a Comment