Thursday, February 10, 2011

Olive...Garden? Nay, Bar

Has anyone else noticed that grocery stores seem to be trying to make themselves more "hip" lately? This is new to me, because the one I went to before catered to a population consisting of only the cheapest people alive, and cheap people have no appreciation for what is hip. After I moved, I went to one of the grocery stores here and found that it had a bunch of little islands set up for fancier foods. I was used to the deli and the butcher, but this store had a sushi guy! What??

So, like I said, it appears that they're trying to class up a bit and provide specialty items. I get it, I guess. I get the sushi and the fancy cheese. But what I don't get is the olives. Olives?? We need an entire bar of different kinds of olives? I didn't even know there WERE different kinds of olives! Occasionally I'll see an olive in my salad or on a pizza, but who is eating so many olives that we need an around-the-clock olive bar so people can come in to satisfy their olive needs? Why not have a graham cracker counter (cinnamon, honey, or regular?), or a boullion cube corner? (Chicken, beef, or vegetable?)

Here's the bottom line, guys: Olives are GROSS. I say enough is enough. Let's get rid of the olives and put in something people are actually going to enjoy. Tomato sauce fountain, anyone?

2 comments:

William Jackson said...

I disagree with your statement that "olives are gross." I love olives! There are probably as many varieties of olive as there are of potato. Or apple. You cannot escape the olives!

The Former 786 said...

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Miss Berrie, there are SO many different types of olives out there. For example, there are black ones, there are green ones, there are. . . other ones. . .

So many!