Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Happy Birthday, Bessie!

Today is the 2nd anniversary of the day I bought my sweet car, Holly Bess Camry. She's been a good, faithful car, and occasionally I still find out that people covet her. Awww. I think back fondly to the day I got her....*cue flashback music*

My friend Body went with me to buy my car, and it was good that he was there since I knew nothing about buying cars (other than what he'd explained to me before we arrived). I knew I needed a car, but I didn't care enough about any particular car to tempt me beyond reason. This was very frustrating to the car dealer. He kept trying to talk me into things, and I simply kept telling him I didn't care enough to fork over more money. I just wanted a basic, 4-door car with automatic transmission and air conditioning. (I also always order water when I eat out. Go figure.)

Much to the dealer's chagrin, we worked out an arrangement for me to get such a car, when lo and behold, another dealer sold it out from under him. So, since there were no other cars like that, he had to give me a fancier version of the car for the same price. Ta da! This is how Holly Bess came to be mine. And I love her.

Since I bought her, she's been in six states and driven by eleven people (unless I'm forgetting someplace or someone). She's been in snow and desert and had several professional car washes. We've survived hot chocolate spills, the mysterious "cruise control" feature, and a parking spot under a leaky hot tub. She's a good car, that Bessie, and I hope she enjoyed this special day. She celebrated by sitting in the driveway, protecting my cat from the world.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

This is hilarious. I laughed out loud that you called me "Body." :)