Tuesday, September 1, 2009

One Job to Bring Them All and in the Darkness Bind Them

I started back at work this week after a wonderful summer at home. While I was gone, one of my part-time employees took my spot and filled in full-time. I had complete confidence that he'd be great, because he's one of our smartest, most competent workers. And, I thought it would be good to have someone fresh take over for a while, because I was BURNED. OUT.

My summer was wonderful, and I came back, not necessarily ready and excited to work, but refreshed, at least. I got a warm welcome from everyone at the office, which did a lot to temper my sinking feeling of "Yep. I'm really back." The above-mentioned part-time employee looked quite excited to see me and gladly handed over my chair and control of the keyboard as soon as I walked in. I'd like to think this was a show of gentlemanly behavior, but I think there were other motivations as well.

When I asked him to tell me how things had gone and how he'd done certain tasks, he started to speak. His words told of frustration, and his entire being turned morose. It was all very familiar.

He looked exactly like me.

He informed me as well that he'd found a new job and would be leaving immediately. I told others jokingly that having my job for 10 weeks drove him away entirely, but I'm sad to say that I don't think I'm entirely wrong. I know a lot of people think I'm just cranky about work, but here is validation that there IS something about my job that just sucks the life out of people. I feel bad for my employee that he went through it but happy for him that he has something better to move onto.

As for me, I feel like Frodo when he has to take back the One Ring after Sam's been wearing it for a while.

No comments: