Monday, April 2, 2012

I'm a Mormon. I Believe in the Bible.

I think some people are under the impression that, as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (or "Mormon," as we have been nicknamed), I do not read the Bible. I'm sorry, but this is completely incorrect. I do read the Bible. I read it every day, actually. (In case you're curious, this morning I read 2 Chronicles chapters 31 and 32.) I believe it is a record of ancient prophets and of the life of Christ and His apostles when they were on the earth.

I also believe in the Book of Mormon, and I think that's where the confusion sets in. Members of this church do not believe in one at the exclusion of the other. We believe that the Book of Mormon is ANOTHER testament of Christ (that's the subtitle, in fact). This book is also a record of ancient prophets. It starts by telling the story of a prophet named Lehi who lived in Jerusalem during the reign of King Zedekiah. Remember when Zedekiah was captured and Jerusalem was destroyed by the Babylonians? Well, Lehi, being a prophet, was warned by God that this was going to happen and told to take his family and flee. They escaped to a new land, which we believe was what we now call the Americas. The Book of Mormon is a record of the prophets and people on this continent.  It was not written after the Bible; just in a different part of the world, by the "other sheep I have which are not of this fold," mentioned in John 10:16.

I'll close with a verse from the Book of Mormon, explaining how we view both books. "For behold, this (the Book of Mormon) is written for the intent that ye may believe that (the Bible); and if ye believe that (Bible) ye will believe this (Book of Mormon) also; and if ye believe this (Book of Mormon) ye will know concerning your fathers, and also the marvelous works which were wrought by the power of God among them" (Mormon 9:7).




No comments: