Tuesday, November 25, 2008

First Feast, or The Night I Ate Eel

Last night I attended an event called First Feast, which is a "reenactment" of the first Thanksgiving. They try to make it seem authentic by having animals, pilgrim games, and smallpox-infested blankets to roll around in.

Just kidding. I only saw one animal. Anyway, they also have some of the major players in the first Thanksgiving there to dine with you as you eat. This is why I was able to attend--The Canadian (I'll pause to let the irony sink in) played Miles Standish, and he arranged for us to be there. Also in attendance were Governor William Bradford (whose name I continue to forget and instead refer to him as William Barrett Travis), and Squanto (whose name I continue to forget and instead refer to him as Tonto). There were others, but I have forgotten them completely.

I'll be honest--my expectations for this event were not high. I was basically going to support The Canadian. I certainly wasn't going for the food. Since it was to be an "authentic" event, there wasn't going to be any pumpkin pie or mashed potatoes and gravy. They advertised a menu of stewed cabbage, corn pudding, pork, venison stew, and eel.

When we arrived, we found a flurry of pilgrims scurrying (yes, scurrying) to seat the guests and greet everyone. Aunt Giraffe (my date for the evening) and I had a table to ourselves (which was nice, because if anyone else had been crammed onto those benches with us, it would not have been pleasant, especially with all the smallpox being spread around). We were thrilled to be greeted so soon by Miles Standish. I didn't know I was such a fan of his, having always been completely uninterested in his book, but he's quite a personable guy.

The evening was kicked off by Modern Man (played by a friend of mine from Divine Comedy), and then William Barrett Travis, or whatever his name was, blessed the food. We started on the salad that was set at each place, but upon discovering no forks and no dressing, we quickly lost interest. We went for the bread, and luckily Miles Standish was there to tear it apart for us, since we are used to using more modern tools of convenience for such tasks. Then pilgrims started coming around with buckets full of stewed cabbage, some sort of pumpkin mush, and corn pudding. Aunt Giraffe tried everything. I did not. (I know you're all surprised.) I tasted the pumpkin stuff, and it wasn't terrible, but my brain kept telling me it was pumpkin pie while my mouth assured me it was not. I actually ate most of it, but after Miles Standish stuck his fingers in it, I figured that was as good a time as any to call it quits. The cider we had to drink was most enjoyable, as was the pilgrim boy that kept coming around to refill our goblets. I don't know which one Aunt Giraffe enjoyed more, but she sure drank a lot of cider. And we were visited by Squanto, who told me to eat more because I am too thin, and one of the other famous people whose name I have forgotten. He had already lost his English accent, but he spread some good gossip about the others.

The next course was the meat course, which was slices of pork and turkey. Aunt Giraffe ate hers with her spoon, but I went for the pick-it-up-with-your-hands-and-tear-off-chunks-with-your-teeth method. I just tried to ignore the baby cow that was about 10 feet away from my plate. When we started winding down on the meat, the main characters of the evening went up on the stage and introduced the rest of the meat course--the venison stew, duck, and eel--and invited people up to partake.

I was completely grossed out by the thought of EATING EEL. Have you ever seen an eel? They are one of the grossest creatures on the earth. However, I knew I couldn't let this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (and I assure you, it was a ONCE-in-a-lifetime opportunity) pass by, so we marched up to the stage to request our portions.

When Miles Standish saw us coming, I have to say, he looked rather surprised. This look was quickly replaced by delight, however, as he dished up our eel. (Also, I'm pretty sure he served it to us on a plate that had been previously used by someone else.) My friends, this is what I saw when I looked down at the plate:


That eel looked disgusting. (Those two round, pink pieces of meat are duck.) It was FAR worse than I had imagined, and I almost lost my nerve (and the contents of my stomach) right then and there. We went back to our seats to face the task ahead, and I, of course, made Aunt Giraffe go first. Miles Standish also made his way over to witness the consumption of the eel, so he and I encouraged the feat with great enthusiasm. With much giggling and squealing, Aunt Giraffe took a bite and forced it down.

Then it was my turn. I don't think of myself as a brave person, but some people have told me I am. However, in this moment, I was NOT feeling brave. I mean, that eel looked disgusting. Miles Standish said he'd take a bite if I'd take a bite, and I knew I couldn't handle the shame of failing to rise to his challenge, so I reached up to grab a piece.

BLLLLEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! It was SLIMY and SQUISHY and COLD. Nothing except the intent glare of Miles Standish could've made me move any further down this path, but I somehow tore off a piece of eel, and on the count of three, we each ate our bites.

Wow. WOW. It was GROSS. I grabbed some bread and my cider goblet, and he grabbed my water mug, and we tried to rid ourselves of any memory of what we'd just done. Unfortunately, my bite of eel got all stuck up into my braces, so for the rest of the evening, I kept experiencing its flavor and texture. We'd also been given little slices of duck, which ordinarily I probably would've eaten, but after the eel, my stomach decided it didn't trust me anymore and was no longer accepting my offerings. I took one nibble of the duck to further rid my mouth of the eel flavor, but that was all I could do.

By then, the pilgrims were bringing around dessert, which was some sort of berry cobbler. Against much protesting from my stomach, I forced some down, once again to rid myself of the eel experience. But then Squanto came by and stuck his fingers in my cobbler, so that was it for me. (Just to recap, that brings the total of other people's fingers in my food to two.)

So, all in all, we had a wonderful time. The ambiance was most pleasing, and we enjoyed meeting so many important people from our nation's history. I don't know which I'll remember more--the texture of that eel, or the twinkle in Miles Standish's eye when he gave it to me.

No comments: