I was thrilled with her praise, and decided that since she had written a personal comment to me, she deserved a response. I enjoyed writing the email so much that I've decided to share it with the rest of you.
Hello! I just saw your nice comment on my introduction paper, and I thought I'd take this opportunity to assert my dislike of blue M&M's. Let me take you back to 1995, when I was but a lass in 6th grade, new to the idea that I was no longer a small child. One day I heard a commercial playing on TV, telling me that a NEW color was going to be introduced to my favorite candy--M&M's--and I could choose the color! Never before had I wielded such power. Surely this must be due to my new status as a "middle school" student. I had to act; but as we know from the great Peter Parker, with great power comes great responsibility. I could not choose the new color on a whim! I considered carefully my choices: blue, purple, or pink?
Clearly, the choice could not be pink. I mean, come on. Pink? Definitely not. That left blue and purple. Purple is my favorite color, but could it stand up to the corps of classic M&M colors? I'm ashamed to admit that I doubted. I turned my back on the color that had served me so well for so long and considered choosing blue. Blue, as a primary color, would fit in well with red, yellow, green, and orange. But wait--what was I thinking? Blue was TOO obvious! Of course it would fit in well; yet, Mars, Inc. had chosen to exclude it at the conception of M&M's. It could be said that a trademark of M&M's is that they did NOT include the color blue.
My choice was clear. It had to be purple. Purple would fit in nicely with the green, orange, and brown M&M's without changing the pallette of the product. I picked up the phone and called in my vote.
Weeks later, the deplorable announcement was made: the new M&M color would be blue. Mars, Inc. had disregarded my vote and rejected my favorite color. And this was not to be the end of their treachery--in adding blue to the colors, they REMOVED the yellowy-brown color that made plain M&M's worth eating. It was too much. I vowed I would never eat a blue M&M.
And so, when I partake of the candy, the people around me are invited to join in and eat as many blue M&M's as they wish; for I will not.
6 comments:
You are awesome...I really don't think that anything else needs to be said!
I remember that vote . . . I wanted the blue ones. : )
wasn't part of the argument also "FOOD THAT IS BLUE SHOULD NOT BE EATEN!" or something?
Also a good point. You may join my cause.
Blue M&Ms can kiss my butt. You know as well as I that the yellowy-brown "after-dinner" M&Ms, as I like to call them (a nod to my coffee-drinking Catholic past), were the best flavor ever. Why would Mars, Inc. REPLACE a color, anyway? Were they on a budget or something? Pshaw.
Suck it, blue M&Ms! Bad color indeed. (Nice reference, by the way--love that movie!)
I believe you also argued that the blue M&Ms actually tasted weird too. Of course, I'm not complaining because I received a lot of blue M&Ms out of the deal, and I'm definitely not one to turn down chocolate.
Post a Comment