Sunday, December 13, 2009

On Blogging

Someone recently asked me for my blog address, and that made me think about a lot of things blog-related. I don't mind if she reads my blog, of course, but there were other people listening to our conversation, and I thought, "Do I really want all of these people reading? What have I said recently?" I personally rather like my own blog, if I do say so myself, and overall, an enjoyable read, but what if someone only reads the first entry they see? What kind of impression would that make?

I think blogs can be a lot like inner speech. My two-year-old nephew is in this stage right now. He goes around talking, talking, talking to no one, not really even himself, because he's learning how to think. (It's cute to watch, too. At Thanksgiving he wandered into the living room and went all around it chatting and on his way out passed the shoe rack and said, without missing a beat, "How many shoes do they have?" and kept walking. So cute.) Soon he'll think those things in his mind, and the rest of us will miss out on all of his wonderful ideas and discoveries. Sitting here at my computer, I'm kind of doing that. There's no one in the room with me, so I'm not really talking TO anyone--just typing what I'm thinking. (Haha--no sarcastic remarks from the peanut gallery, thank you!) So when we read blogs, it's kind of like we're getting a blast of that writer's true self.

And THAT got me thinking about how weird it is when you read someone else's blog, especially for the first time, because you get to know what they think, but they're not presenting those ideas to YOU. They don't tailor it specifically to you like I think we do most of the time when we communicate with people. I think we change a little bit with each person we're around, so that each person we know, knows us in their own special way.

That thought makes me happy. I'm a little different to each of my friends and loved ones, because they are each different, and they each bring out different sides of me. So all of you who know me know that there's a part of me saved just for you, and I wouldn't be who I am without you.

And that wasn't really about blogging at all, now was it?

No comments: