I have watched many romantic movies in my life, some of them over and over (or selected scenes over and over...). It's easy to get swept up in the magic and feel for yourself the love and joy the characters are apparently experiencing. Usually, there's music playing, and the characters gaze into each other's eyes and smile and/or kiss. (And sometimes that weird room-spinning thing happens where they're standing still, but everything else is circling around them.) In these moments, everything is perfect, from the setting to the characters' hair and makeup.
*sound of record scratching*
But what fun is that?? If the only way to experience ultimate happiness is to look perfect and be perfect, that's way too much pressure and highly unlikely to be achieved. Let me paint a much better picture for you.
One day, The Black Belt* and I were sitting on the couch together. We'd just come from church, so we were, in fact, both dressed in our best and looking quite nice. (So far, we were in keeping with movie standards.) He put his arm around me in a very tender way (still good), so I leaned my head over to rest it on his. (Very movie-like.) However, as I did this, the long, dangly earring I'd adorned that morning swung down and hit The Black Belt right in the glasses with a CLANK.
That never happens in the movies! We could have been humiliated. We could've shifted awkwardly and tried to pretend nothing had happened. But again--what fun is that?? Instead, we laughed and laughed and enjoyed being together that much more.
I wish this were how people imagined the paradisiacal life to be. Why long for a situation in which any deviation from perfection is uncomfortable at best and detrimental at worst? I'd much rather be with someone who smiles at me when I yawn or laughs when I get tickled by his hand resting on my arm. I'd much rather be able to grin when I have to brush the hair out of my face before he can kiss my cheek or giggle when I lose my balance as I reach up to give him a hug.
You never see that on movies. And maybe that's not "perfect." But I wouldn't want life any other way.
*Note: Yes, The Black Belt is a new character to this blog. But we at Miss Berrie's Blog of Requirement hope he'll be around for quite a while.
7 months ago
3 comments:
In a movie, you would've hit his glasses with your earring at the beginning of the movie, been horribly embarrassed and spent the next 20 minutes trying to avoid him, while he, completely enchanted by your clumsiness, would've spent the next 20 minutes appearing in awkward situations with you until you finally succumbed to that thing called love.
So cute!! And so true. Today I dropped my significant other back at his office after rendezvousing for lunch. Camryn, ensconced in the backseat, was tired and VERY impatient to get home to her crib and blankie. I leaned over to give Karl a nice romantic kiss, and just then Camryn decided to fill in the missing romantic music by squawking and whining angrily. NICE!!! It wasn't at ALL what you'd see in the movies (no one gets their engine revving to the sound of "Waah! WAAAHHH! Unnghhh!!! Eeeeeeeeehhhhh!" delivered in high-pitched shrieks from the backseat). But it was the best we could do. Too funny.
Great post, Miss Berrie!
And, I'll have you know that I tried the spinning thing once - it just made us nauseous and then we tried to walk away hand in hand and we stumbled all over each other and fell. Moral of the story? Spinning = Overrated!
Post a Comment