Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Proposal

Note: The title of this post does NOT refer to the Sandra Bullock movie, about which I vowed that if anyone I knew actually watched, we just couldn't be friends anymore. Not that I have anything against Sandra Bullock--it's just that, if you consciously chose to view that film, you're not the person I thought you were.

No, indeed, this is the story of how my Facebook status went from "In a Relationship" to "Engaged."

The Black Belt asked me if we could go out to dinner on Saturday, before going to the Divine Comedy Best Of show (which, you might be interested to know, was also what we did on our first real date). When I got home from what I was doing, I sent him a text to tell him I was home and that he could come over whenever he wanted to leave for dinner. He said he'd be right there, but he sure did take a while. But when he arrived, he looked very nice, and said, "Wow!" (He looked that good.) I asked him to drive, so when we got to my car, I climbed in the passenger side and settled in, completely unaware that my life was about to change forever.

When he started the car, this music started playing, and my brain's ability to process information stalled to almost a grinding halt, and I eloquently said, "What the....?" I thought maybe I'd left the radio on, and I almost reached over and turned it off. Luckily, before I did that, I thought, "Wait...we like this song!" (It was "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, FYI.) "And wait...it's playing right at the beginning...what are the odds?...and wait...it sounds a lot clearer than songs on the radio usually do...and wait....the screen says 'CD 1'..."

After working all that out in my head, I said, "Did you do that?" and The Black Belt said, "What?" Then the intro to the song finished, and The Black Belt started singing to me. Awwwwwwwwwww. I immediately melted into a puddle of goo and grinned through the entire thing. I thought it was so sweet. Then when the song ended, he skipped to another track, and his recording of "You Make Me Smile," by Uncle Kracker came on and played, and then after that was "Haven't Met You Yet," which is the first song he ever sang to me. (Ironically enough.)

We arrived just as that song ended, so before I got out, he said, "You should stay there so I can get your door for you." I obediently sat, and as he went around, I heard him shut the trunk, but I thought he accidentally pushed the button to open it. I vowed to be nice about it so he wouldn't feel embarrassed. But when the door opened and I looked, he was down on one knee, holding flowers and a sparkly ring, and asking me to marry him.

People asked me if I cried. I sure did not! I started laughing, and I jumped out of the car and said, "Yes, of course!" and gave him a big hug. He put the ring on my finger, and we both grinned some more.

And we haven't stopped.

7 comments:

shallie said...

I like this story alot. I heard it in person and liked it. I read it on the blog and liked it. It is official, this is a great story.

Lynn said...

What a fun engagement story! How bout some pictures? Maybe a recording of him singing the songs? Lol. Hooray for marriage!

Unknown said...

YEA!!! I'm so happy for you!! However, you are the second good friend to tell me recently that you are getting married and I'm beginning to feel a smidge left out. ps this is Bronwyn...it says that the chosen identity is Brooke...but that's my mom.

Kami D. said...

Holy Hannah!!! I am SOOO excited for you! You are one of the most amazing people and I am so glad that you found someone just as awesome as you are. I wondered if you were dating someone because of some of the pictures I saw on facebook, but I don't like to pry...I'm blabbering...AAAHHHHH...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Miss Berrie said...

Thanks, everybody. I love to hear that others are excited, too, because it makes me even more excited!

The Former 786 said...

Nice! Well, played, The Black Belt! Well played, indeed.

I need to read blogs more often.

Oh, and you shouldn't bag on EVERYONE that has SEEN The Proposal, just those that really liked/owned The Proposal. Some of us get suckered into watching movies like those. . .although Ryan Reynolds is likeable in ANYTHING. :)

Abby said...

AHHH! What a good (now) fiance. Great story. I'm so happy for you!