Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Superweakness

Recently I've had a few conversations with people about what superpowers we would choose to have if we could. (For the record, I'm going with teleporting.) But what I realize now is that we can benefit from the absence of ability as well.

I have been very sick for the last couple of weeks with what is most likely pneumonia. I'm not going to lie--it has not been fun. I felt lousy, and I've been coughing and blowing my nose about 50-75 times some days. Along with this, I completely lost my sense of taste and smell. I discovered this one night when the Black Belt and I went out and picked up some soup and salad for dinner, and when we got in the car, he said, "Mmm, smells good!" I didn't smell anything, but I assumed I just wasn't close enough to the source. But when we started eating, I could not taste a thing. So I had to adapt somewhat to this handicap; for example, when I was making some gravy to go with our roast and potatoes dinner, my roommate had to act as "mouth" to tell me when I needed to add more salt. (People tell me the roast ended up being very tasty. I'm glad to hear it.)

Then one day when I was back at work, I felt a little hungry, so I thought about eating a Pop Tart. However, I decided against it when I remembered that I wouldn't be able to taste it, and I didn't want to waste one. The Black Belt reminded me that I should probably eat something, though, so I thought about what to do.

And then it came to me. I had some snacks in my cabinet that have just been sitting there, because I didn't really like them too much and wasn't excited about eating them. But if I couldn't taste them anyway, what did it matter?? I ripped open a package and downed those mediocre snacks in blissful unawareness of the disagreeable flavor. So in the end, I wasn't hungry anymore, and I didn't have to waste any snacks!

Another time, when I was going into the bathroom after my roommate (who is going to LOVE that I'm telling this story!!), I commented on how I would've preferred to be asleep right then, rather than heading into the bathroom. She said, "AND it smells bad in there, so it's going to be extra awesome!" But the joke was on her! I couldn't smell a thing.

Thanks, pneumonia! I may not be able to send myself to anywhere in the universe whenever I want, but this superweakness has its perks, too.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Super clever! Interestingly I JUST had this conversation and I really want to read minds or see the future. Tom wants to fly.

Rebecca J said...

Does your roommate get the "Don't go in there after me" award anyway?

Megan said...

My mother-in-law Linda lost her sense of smell after her last kid was born (some sort of whopping sinus infection) and she says THAT was a serious blessing in disguise!!! I completely agree that as a parent, that's the first sense I'd ditch (the second would be deafness that occurs only in the presence of whining)! Also, it's nice to be around Linda because, if you accidentally let one slip, you can go about your business since she is NONE THE WISER. That's come in handy a few times...whew. Or should I say, "pew!"

Megan said...

P.S. You have my ultimate sympathy on the whole pneumonia thing. I've had it only once, but it truly felt like my body and soul had been completely wrung out. There was nothing but a pathetic, useless shell of me left over. Super sucky. My condolences!!! (The worst part? This was when I discovered I had an allergy to amoxicillin, that awesome pink medicine that tastes like bubble gum. What a blow THAT was--I had to take this horrid concoction that tasted like toothpaste and soap. And I had FULL use of my tastebuds, to add serious insult to injury.)

By the way, the word verification on this comment is "deathi." I'm sure you feel death-y as I type this! How cruelly apropos.

The Former 786 said...

Way to look on the sunny side, Miss Berrie. I'll try to have this kind of attitude the next time I get deathly ill.