Monday, January 10, 2011

You're Not Dreaming; This Really is a Post about Inception

Since this post is all about the movie Inception, I suppose I should start with a "spoiler warning." If you haven't seen the movie and don't want to hear about what happens in it, don't read the questions at the end of this post (although if you haven't seen it by now, you probably don't care about what happens in the movie).

I watched Inception again this weekend. The first time I saw it, it was about 9:30 p.m., and I hadn't had dinner yet, so I spent most of the movie snacking on popcorn and movie theater nachos. (Ok, I was actually pretty excited about the nachos.) I was also quite sleepy, so basically, the movie playing on the screen was of minimal concern to me. I didn't really understand what was going on (ever), but I didn't really care either. My brain is only willing to put forth a certain amount of effort to understand something, and if any attention beyond that is required, I simply lose interest. So, I didn't hate the movie, but I didn't see why people kept raving about it. (I mean, come on, the 3rd Rock from the Sun kid? How are we supposed to take him seriously?)

However, we decided we should give it another go, just to see if we'd like it better. I did follow along much better this time. Maybe it was because I'd already seen it once. Maybe it was because I had a full tummy. Or maybe it was because we kept stopping and saying, "Do YOU know what's going on?" These discussions helped a lot, but we're still left unsure of a few things. Therefore, I am turning to you, my readers, to fill me in on the real nitty-gritty of this movie that everyone claims is so good. But I'll be honest--I'm mostly asking you so I can explain it to The Black Belt.

1.) If Leonardo DiCaprio and his wife escaped from limbo by killing themselves, why was everyone so scared of getting "stuck" in limbo? And why couldn't that Japanese guy get out? (And how come Leonardo DiCaprio COULD get him out?)

2.) Why did Ellen Page keep telling Leonardo DiCaprio that he HAD to tell everyone about Mal? The 3rd Rock from the Sun kid obviously knew about her. So why didn't they not know "how dangerous" the situation was?

3.) And how did Mal keep showing up if they weren't in Leonardo DiCaprio's dreams?

4.) And why did Leonardo DiCaprio keep going into the dreams at all? What the heck did he bring to the table? It seemed like he just kind of hung out, bossing everyone around, and occasionally nearly getting people killed.

Please try to resist the urge to scoff and scold me for not loving this movie (remember the thing about my brain only caring so much), but I do appreciate your help in answering these questions. Maybe if you can help me, I'll like the movie better! ...Or, maybe I'll still snicker every time Leonardo DiCaprio tries to act emotional.

6 comments:

The Black Belt said...

Don't forget, "If Leonardo DiCaprio and Mal 'grew old together' in Limbo, why were they young when they killed themselves out of limbo?"

Rebecca J said...

"I haven't SEEN it yet!!" Ha ha. But seriously, you didn't ruin anything for me, and it sounds like a really confusing movie...

erin said...

I've watched this movie twice so far.

1. When you're in limbo, you can't get out unless someone comes to get you. That's why the Japanese guy couldn't get out until Leo went to get him. But they couldn't get out without the help of each other; they had to shoot each other in the head so they could both get out.

2. A giant plot of the movie is about subconscious. He has to tell people about Mal so he can face the reality of her still being a living force of his subconscious.

3. See above. She is part of his subconscious and cannot be controlled. Hence the train coming out of nowhere in the first level.

4. He was the manipulator, the one to extract the information they needed. That was his job. That's why he had to keep going on.

At least those are how I understand it.

squishyrat said...

Q1 Because they didn't realize they were in Limbo at first. Leo was the only one that rememebered his children, the one thing to get him to kill himself
That is why the Chinese guy was stuck in Limbo, he didn't know he was there until Leo showed up to remind him of his promise he had to keep

Q2 If they REALLY knew how dangerous it was, they would not have A) done it in the first place, and B) This only makes a hard situation they are in even harder. No one REALLY KNEW just how dangerous she was except Leo and Ellen

Q3 Leo already explained that part to Ellen Page when he acquired her. The architect dreams up the world, and everyone entering it fills it with THEIR sub-conscience. therefore, Mal would be there too since Leos mind is also connected to the dream

Q4 Leo already stated from the very beginning.. "i'm the Best"... though he seemed like he didn't bring anything to the table, he brought a lot. He was the ONLY one that went this deep into dreams, he has experience, he knows what to do to adjust, he helped plan the whole inception in the first pace, since he was the one that actually did it. If anyone was to fall into Limbo, he would be the man you would want to get you out. He was the main person who convinced ScareCrow to trust him, to actually break into his own mind. Because, as before... he is the best at mind manipulation

squishyrat said...

Response to the Black Belt's question:
I think it was a matter of film choice, to not give away that fact until the end. It was a memory, and at that point, we imagined him decribing them in limbo.. WE as the viewer would think young, not understanding the full truth

Kami D. said...

Honestly, I am not a raving fan of the movie either. Stephen loves it. I could take it or leave it. I've seen it three times, due to Stephen's love...