Hello friends! We recently celebrated a happy event in our home. This was The Black Belt's first birthday since we've been married, so of course, I had to make it super special! (Did you know I love birthdays? I may have mentioned it before. I love them.) It just so happens the The Black Belt has been talking about how much he wanted a Wii Fit ever since we tried one out at my parents' house many months ago. So, super special birthday present: Check!
I wrapped his gift (and a few others from family members) and set up a cute little birthday area in our living room so he'd see it when he walked in. I even got one of those "Happy Birthday" signs and hung it with those little Command hooks that don't leave holes in the walls. It looked very festive when I was done! Super special birthday decorations: Check!
Unfortunately, like many, The Black Belt had to work all day, which isn't super special, so I offered to meet him for lunch. Two of his friends came along, so it was a happy little birthday party. Super special birthday daytime activity: Check!
Since we went out to lunch, we decided to have dinner at home. As the resident chef, it was up to me to come up with the super special food! The Black Belt requested teriyaki chicken. However, when it came time to begin cooking, this resident chef was worn out by other the other preparations for the day, AND the chicken hadn't thawed, so our menu went from teriyaki chicken to Papa John's Spicy Italian pizza with garlic dipping sauce! We never spring for such high-end pizza, but I had just seen a commercial for this particular pizza, and The Black Belt loves spicy, and he loves sausage, so....super special birthday dinner: Check!
And what birthday would be complete without a cake? Since he knew me early on in our relationship as "The Queen of Desserts," I had a pretty big reputation to live up to with this birthday cake. Growing up, The Black Belt always had a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for his birthday. I was perfectly happy to make him a chocolate cake--it just had to be super special! So I went browsing for recipes. And I found THIS. The Triple Chocolate Mousse cake. Oh man. I immediately knew this was the perfect cake...with a bit of tweaking. We're not big white chocolate fans, so I took the advice of the author of that post and made the top layer a homemade vanilla whipped cream. It was. so. good. Super special birthday cake: Check!
You're probably thinking, "Wow, that sounds like the perfect day! Surely SOMETHING must have gone wrong!" And you'd be right. Things didn't always go perfectly smoothly. For example, The Black Belt's favorite place to eat is Texas Roadhouse, so to Texas Roadhouse we went, friends in tow, for lunch. And that is when we learned that Texas Roadhouse is open for dinner only. (Quick thinking took us down the street to Pei Wei, and everything was fine again.) Also, the bottom layer of my cake required the separation of eggs. I hate eggs. I don't like to eat them, touch them, smell them, or hear the word being said. But, for The Black Belt, I was willing to do it. I have never been good at separating eggs, so I decided to use my egg white separator. It worked pretty well until the last egg simply would NOT separate, and in my attempt to help it along, I ended up with all the innards of an egg in my BARE HAND. Ugh. It was awful, and I hated it. But I did it (somehow), and, as previously mentioned, the cake was delicious. And despite these minor mishaps, The Black Belt grinned the whole day and told me repeatedly that he'd had A Super Special Birthday.
7 months ago
2 comments:
Nice birthday! 1. Do you have Mom's teriyaki marinade? It is the best ever, and it works so much better as a marinade than the bottled stuff. 2. I can show you how to separate an egg without an egg separator, which I think makes the job way trickier than it needs to be.
Yeah, my birthday was pretty much awesome. I bet everyone else is jealous that their birthday wasn't as awesome as mine.
Post a Comment