Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Inevitable End

Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems like there aren't a lot of single volume stories written these days. All of the popular books that I can think of right now come in series: Harry Potter, The Hunger Games,...that one with the vampires, which we did not read but is an example of a book series... And every time we get involved with one, it takes over our lives. For example, when The Black Belt and I finally gave in to peer pressure and read the Fablehaven series, we ended up practically withdrawing from society in our zeal to reach the conclusion. As soon as he got home from work, we'd pick up where we'd left off the night before until dinner so rudely interrupted by being ready to be eaten, and then we'd read more before bed, where I'd fuss at The Black Belt for going to sleep before we found out what happened next. I kept the whole series on reserve at the library so that as soon as we finished one book, we could move onto the next, making my trips to the library a multi-weekly occurrence. We just didn't want to stop.

But the problem with reading at such a breakneck speed is that before you know it, you're done. The suspense is over, you know what happens, and then you don't have anything else to read. I HATE that.

No comments: