Wednesday, July 2, 2008

It's a Superhero Movie! It's a Serious Drama! It's HANCOCK!

I was excited to see the movie Hancock, so when the invitation come, I accepted without hesitation. I went in expecting a humorous superhero movie about a drunken antihero's journey to reaching his full potential as a superhero. And I was right. For about half the movie.

The people responsible for Hancock are to be commended for not giving away too much in the previews, as has been the problem for a lot of recent movies. But interestingly, as a result, audience members like me will be completely sideswiped by the plot twist and sudden change in tone that comes in the smack middle of the film. It left me feeling slightly unsettled, and I can't decide how much of that is due to the surprise twist and how much is due to a not-super-stellar script.

This movie also has a lot of swearing, though it never felt out of place, like so many movies that seem to have a lot of swearing just for the sake of having a lot of swearing. But between the swearing and the sometimes graphic violence, I probably wouldn't want my kids to see it.

So even if I won't be rushing out to see Hancock again anytime soon, it was a fun summer movie, and I saw it with fun people, so I enjoyed my evening and am glad I went.

No comments: