Friday, January 16, 2009

Your Friend, The Sucker

I had an interesting conversation last night. It started as a discussion of my loyalty toward TV shows, but ended up causing a bit of introspection on my part. I said something along the lines of, "I'm a sucker. I stay devoted to TV shows and people long after they stop deserving it." (By the way, don't ever say this to anyone. It could end in disaster.)

I don't know... It's something I've been thinking about, because when I was organizing my room, I found something that I'd been keeping for an old friend of mine. When he moved away, I told him to take it, but he left it here saying he'd get it "next time." Well. I don't think there's going to be a "next time," and I finally had to throw it away. Obviously it made me sad, because I'm still thinking about it.

This sort of thing happens, I guess. People move on or away, or make stupid decisions, or change. It's to be expected in life, but dang it, I'm sorry, friends--I'm not giving up on you that easily. You're just going to have to deal with that.

Maybe that makes me a sucker, but I'd rather be a sucker who loves a great deal than someone who used to have a lot of friends.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Well I like you for your loyalty and I'm glad we're still friends even though it's been a while since we've seen each other :). And hang in there with the tough classes, reports and decisions. Good luck.