Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Cake

I haven't done a wedding post in a while, so here's a fun story for you. Our reception venue had a list of recommended vendors for things like flowers, cake, and music, so I called the cake lady that they recommended and made an appointment. I also made an appointment with another lady who I'd found on my own, because her cake flavors and fillings sounded delicious, so I was intrigued.

But, after meeting with the first lady, we decided just to go with her. She was nice; she could do what we wanted; and her prices were reasonable, including no delivery fee. She even recommended a florist that she works with often, and I felt good about hiring a "team" to do everything for us. And if that wasn't enough, when we told her we wanted a groom's cake, she recommended her specialty chocolate truffle cake. She said, "It is to die for," and cited example after example of people who'd come back specifically to get more of that cake. So, we were feeling pretty good about things. We just decided to wait to put our deposit down because I wanted to talk to the florist first and make sure we'd be able to work everything out among all of us.

The lady told us she was going out of town, but we could call her and leave a message if we made a final decision. We met with the florist and felt great, so we called the cake lady and left a message saying we wanted to move forward. She called us back when she got home and left a message saying that she was going out of town AGAIN, and she'd call us on the 13th to get our order. On the 13th, we called her and left a message saying we wanted to place our order. The next day, I got a voicemail from her that said, "I got your message, but unfortunately, I don't have room on your date anymore. I called [The Black Belt] and left a message telling him that, so I hope he got it. Sorry!"

UMMMMM....We called her back and said, "Actually, the message you left said you'd call us to get our order." She responded that she'd forgotten that's what she told us, and she was very sorry.

Now. I am actually not as angry as you might think. After all, it is just cake. But unimpressed? Yes. Very. I felt like it would've been more appropriate for her to tell whoever she booked in our spot that she was very sorry, but the spot she'd given them was actually full already, and she wouldn't be able to do their cake after all. But, it's human nature to take the less scary route, which, I think, she did. We were also disappointed that we wouldn't get to taste her chocolate truffles cake. Oh well.

I immediately got on the phone and called the second cake lady who I'd cancelled on and asked her if we could try again. She felt bad for us that we were in such a bind and agreed to fit us in. We met with her and decided on a cake that I am MUCH more excited about, AND she had a cute puppy that loved The Black Belt. So, we all had fun at that meeting. This lady charges more, plus a delivery fee, so that part is still a little irksome, but we have a cake. It's going to be lovely, and the flavors will be delicious!

Guess you'll have to come to the reception and try them yourselves!

No comments: