Sebastian came into our lives 11 years ago as a gift to me from my dad. He was the cutest little kitten with a tiny little tail that stuck confidently straight up in the air. He slept in a little cardboard box that I carried around with me till he woke up. He liked to play with my old purple sock and jump over the bottom rungs of chair. With my other cats, I could hide behind a door and dangle a string, and they'd reach under the door to try to grab it. Sebastian, however, took all of 3 seconds to figure out that if he ran AROUND the door, he could not only grab the string, but also pounce on the source of the dangling. At night, he'd shift between pouncing on invisible foes in the mattress to snuggling right up to my chin and purring. He liked to be near people and be up high, so the kitchen table was a favorite place of his. It got to the point where, as we knelt for morning prayer, we had to each hold a hand over the top of our orange juice glass; otherwise, we'd open our eyes to find a little kitty cat lapping it up for himself.
As he matured, his confidence only increased. My mom, in an attempt to train him NOT to jump on the table, bought a water gun. At first, he'd hop down and run away when he got squirted. But after about two times, when he saw my mom get the gun, he just shut his eyes tight and held his ground, waiting for the worst to be over so he could continue his exploration of the table setting. At night, if he wanted attention, and my parents wouldn't give it to him (because they were asleep), he'd GET their attention by pulling out the bedspread threads with his teeth. And when he needed some refreshment, he'd go back to the bathroom and meow until someone turned the bathtub on to a slight trickle so that he could drink fresh water. (None of this stagnant bowl stuff for him!) But, to his credit, he also meowed when he was done, until someone came to turn the water off.
I sure did love my little kitty. I loved to call home and hear him meowing in the background or even sometimes purring as he sat in my mom's lap. I loved the way he'd come find me at night and plop down on the ground so I could pet him after everyone else had gone to bed. And I loved that he was just the funniest, most cat-like cat who ever lived. Maybe some people would chalk this up to "just part of life" and move on after a moment of sadness. But I'll never forget my sweet little kitty. I'm so glad that I got to be his friend.
2 comments:
Oh, Miss Berrie. I'm so very sorry. I remember Sebastian with GREAT fondness, even though I never met him personally. I still LOVE remembering stories about his need for running water! And my favorite picture of him EVER was one of him chewing on a stalk of yellow flowers after being told that under NO circumstances was he allowed to do so (I think they were at your dad's office, because I seem to remember shots of you and your sis helping him clean it or move it somewhere)! The look on his face, with his eyes half-closed in defiant extasy, still makes me laugh. What a sweet little furball. I'm so sad you had to bid him farewell for now. That little hole in your heart won't ever be filled again--at least not completely. But what a joy to have such a funny kitty leave a hole there. I'm glad you got to be his friend, too.
I forgot to add in my email that the best way I know to ease the pain is to tell stories about my beloved pet--those stories hurt to remember, but they also help to ease that ache. I would love to read about Sebastian's legendary exploits and see some pictures. I myself carried around a few pictures of my old kitty Maris (a worthy partner in crime ro your own kitty) after she died until the ache lessened a bit. It helped to remember all her adventures and look at that sweet whiskered face when I needed to. So, if it helps, tell us about your kitty. I'd love to remember along with you.
Post a Comment