Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Professor Dr Von Igelfeld

Now that I've started my reading list, I think I should report on what I've read. I just finished the last book in McCall Smith's series that stars the delightfully-pompous-yet-woefully-miguided character, Professor Dr Moritz-Maria von Igelfeld. The series includes the books Portuguese Irregular Verbs, The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs, and At the Villa of Reduced Circumstances, in that order.

I thoroughly enjoyed the series and recommend it to anyone who'd like a simple, pleasantly humorous read. I'd also say that if you can listen to any of it on audiobook, go for it, because the German accents of Professor Dr von Igelfeld and his cronies Professor Dr Unterholzer and Professor Dr Dr Prinzel just adds to the delightfulness! If I had to choose, I'd say the third book is my least favorite, because it's not as episodic as the first two, so there are fewer instances of von Igelfeld finding himself in horrible, usually self-inflicted, binds, but they're all easy, fast reads, so no need to pick and choose.

So go find them and start reading! And for now, I bid you "Auf weidersehen," which I don't remember ever reading in the books.

No comments: