One of the gifts we got for our wedding was a nice, big crock pot. It's much fancier-looking than any crock pot I ever had before, so I was excited about it. The Black Belt also brought with him a book full of slow cooker recipes, so I sat down one day and picked out some that I'd like to try.
I am a very picky eater, so most were skipped over immediately, and the ones I was drawn to all had a certain sameness about them. But, nevertheless, I was enthusiastic and copied down the first recipe I wanted to try. It was for tostadas, which I wouldn't have classified as a "crock pot" dish, but it called for the meat and beans and seasoning to all get thrown together in the pot, which I thought was a cool idea.
Until I read it again. The first step was to brown the meat. Wait a second....! I have to cook the meat first? I realized then that this was a total rip-off. It was like buying a cheese grater that instructs you to chop the cheese into small pieces before use. If I had to cook the meat ahead of time, all I was getting from this was a chance to wash all the dishes that would usually be required for tostadas AND a giant, hand-wash-only crock pot. And I'd get to wait 6-8 hours to eat this meal instead of the usual 20-30 minutes.
I decided it just wasn't worth it. I made the dang tostadas without the crock pot, because I'm not a giant sucker. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some cheese pieces to grate.
7 months ago
1 comment:
I say the same thing about crock pot recipes all the time. I just want something I can dump in and let sit for the whole day, otherwise it defeats the purpose of a crock pot. Sometimes if it even involves chopping vegetables I am a little skeptical of it. My fave crock pot recipe lets you put the chicken in there whole AND frozen. That's what I'm talking about.
Post a Comment