As I typed the title for this post, I realized it sounded very much like the title of my first post on this blog. However, there's no relation. This title comes from Divine Comedy's "Hillary Potter" skit, when Neville (played by Mary Hedengren) says about all the strange things that have been happening, "What does it all mean??" Every time I wonder that particular question, I wonder it in Mary's voice. So when you read this, read it in Mary's voice, just for me.
What I've really been thinking about, though, besides the title of this post, is communication. A few years ago, I taught several classes about communication, so you'd think I'd be smarter about it than I am. I told my students that we are always communicating, either through our words, our silence (thank you, Stanley Hudson!), our body language, or whatever. Even our handwriting! Maybe it's because I had to teach all this stuff that I am very, very aware of it. If I'm sitting with my arms folded, I know I'm projecting a stand-offish image. If I'm smiling and leaning (thank you, Joe, Jr.!), I know I'm showing...shall we say?...enthusiasm for the situation.
But I wonder if other people are as aware of it as I am. Are they picking up my cues? And more importantly, are they giving off cues I should be picking up, or are they just sitting with their arms folded because it's more comfortable? (I can't tell you how many times my legs have fallen asleep because I refused to cross them away from the person sitting next to me.)
Life would be a lot easier and less confusing if we all just wore those little magnets that said, "Today I am feeling:_____," and we could just put in the appropriate adjective. But, let's get real--where would we hang a magnet?
6 months ago
3 comments:
I wonder how many of us have endured physical pain in order to avoid using negative body language. I know there have been times when I have been extra smiley or enthusiastic, even though the situation hardly warranted it.
I was just thinking about this today. As I was waiting in the hall for a meeting with the boss (who never showed). I had to keep reminding myself to stop folding my arms, even if it was warmer and more comfortable that way.
It's something I wish I paid more attention to. I notice other people's body language, but I forget to monitor my own. So I'll trying not to act annoyed with someone and my eyebrow will have crawled halfway up my forehead. Not helpful.
Post a Comment