Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Friend for a Day

Yesterday morning I wasn't feeling well and was really not looking forward to going to work. When I regretfully opened my door to leave, I looked down and saw


standing at my doorstep, looking up at me. She mewed, as if to say, "Finally! I've been waiting here all night for you!" and started to come in. Instead, I joined her in the hall and asked her where she'd come from. She wouldn't tell me. She just kept saying, "mew!" and rubbing against my legs. I reached down to pet her, and she looked like she'd never been so happy in her life. I knelt down, and she tried as hard as she could to climb into my sort-of-lap. She looked at me like she could never love anyone more.

I was smitten. (Everyone together now! "Smitten by a kitten?" Yes.) She was so cute and so loving, and I'd been lonely and sad all weekend, so she was like a little gift from Heaven. Sadly, of course, I had to say good-bye to her, since I had to leave for work. Besides, I hope she has a family of her own she needed to get back to. But I'm glad she came to visit me for a day.

*Note: The picture shown here is not the actual kitten from the story. I was too busy petting her to pull out my camera. But this shows exactly what she looked like, right down to the kink in her tail.

1 comment:

Rebecca J said...

Aw, what a sweet kitty! There's a yellow kitty that plays in our yard, and I always ask William if we can keep it, but he wisely says no. But I still like to watch Yellow Kitty.