Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Handful of Memories

One of the greatest blessings of my life has been knowing my grandparents. You could not find finer people on this earth, and I cherish the relationships we've had. My grandma passed away this week, so naturally I have been reflecting on her life and the times we spent together.

Grandma and Grandpa lived in another state, so we didn't get to see them terribly often, but visits to or from them made me more excited than just about anything else in the world. We had such fun together. Each morning of a visit, as soon as I woke up (which was probably really early, now that I think about it), I'd run into their bedroom, and Grandma (who was always still sleeping), lifted up the covers and let me crawl in. She and I would pretend there was a little family that lived on top of the covers, so while I was underneath, she'd use her hand to "crawl around," and she used different voices for the different people. I thought it was great.

She also used to bounce me on her knee while she hummed the tune "Turkey in the Straw." Then at random times, she'd drop her knees, so I fell onto the bed, and we both laughed and laughed. It was a very exciting game to me. When she got tired and said we needed to stop, I'd say, "Let's do it ten more times!" And she always did.

Another favorite activity at Grandma's house was playing my mom's old Barbie: Queen of the Prom game. We played it every single visit, and she usually even had it out waiting for us when we arrived. She and I would always race to see who could snag Poindexter as a boyfriend first. (My taste in men has improved since those days, I think.)

There were many things to admire about Grandma. She was a fabulous cook. I remember when I was first on my own and failed in several attempts at making a good pot roast, I called Grandma and got the right instructions. I had no problems after that. She even made sure I got the right kitchen equipment for my next birthday so that I could cook that meal properly. I also remember her pancakes and boysenberry syrup that we had every time we visited her, and the gingerbread men she made for us every Christmas. My favorite part was the red hots. She was also a fabulous pianist, and despite being able to play anything anyone ever put in front of her, she was still more proud of my piano abilities than possibly anyone I know. She loved hearing her grandchildren play their instruments, even when we were just learning.

She was a hard-working, generous, strong woman, so when her body started to age, it was difficult for her to handle. She was used to DOING things! But even in the end, when she was so unhappy in her frail body, she loved her family and did everything she could for us. I will miss my grandma, but I know that this is just a temporary separation, and that we'll see her again. In the meantime, I'm sure she and grandpa are out working as hard as ever and still keeping a close eye on their kids. They left us quite a legacy, and I hope that wherever life takes me, I'll make them proud.

I love you, Grandma.

1 comment:

Heather said...

What a beautiful tribute. Your grandma sounds so great.