Tuesday, October 20, 2009

This Could Be the Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship

Shortly after I got home today, a girl from our complex knocked on the door and said, "You have a cat on your balcony." !!!!!!! We looked, and sure enough, it was my new little friend, curled up on an old towel. We went out and petted her, and she rubbed and snuggled and acted all in all incredibly cute. Rumor has it that she has been roaming around for at least the past two days, so I have started to worry that she is lost.

As we talked about what to do to help her, my neighbor decided to very helpfully observe, "I think she might be pregnant." OH, GOOD. This poor little lost kitty is not only stranded in the cold, but she may soon be having kittens (literally, not figuratively. I was figurately having kittens at the thought that she might be having kittens literally.). With her situation even more dire, I procured a box and put it on the balcony with the towel inside. She's a cat--of course she immediately had to check out the situation. She took a couple of turns about the box and started scratching around, shifting the towel here and there before settling in. It looked a lot like "nesting" to us. Great.

So now I don't know what to do. She is adorable, and I love her already, and she loves me, and we could be very happy together if she were allowed to live with me. But it is not to be. Instead I told her she is welcome to live on my balcony but to please not have kittens in my box. I don't know what to do, because if she IS someone's cat, I don't want to take her to the Humane Society or give her away. But if she's not, she needs a good home. And most urgently, if she is pregnant, she needs medical help so that she and the kittens are safe.

If anyone knows how to help, please let me know.

No comments: