Every time Divine Comedy performs, I get one or more of the songs from the weekend stuck in my head. This time the song is "Mr. Roboto," featured in the skit Will You Go to the Dance With Me? Coincidentally, or maybe not, this was by far my favorite skit of the show. I loved every bit of it. So, now I've got "Mr. Roboto" stuck in my head, and the only lyrics I know are "Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto," but that's okay. It was a great skit.
Here are some other tidbits about this weekend's show (When I was a super fan of Divine Comedy, I would've loved to know stuff like this. I hope you feel the same way.):
Pick-Up Lines with Nick & Mary is an idea brought back from a few years ago when it was Pick-Up Lines with Alex & Meredith. Our stage manager got to be the announcer for it, and he was thrilled.
I helped our stage manager pick the sound you heard each time one of those little word boxes popped up on the screen during Oregon Trail. We went through several and took quite a bit of time to find one that was fitting for the Oregon Trail feel and also wasn't annoying. It was trickier than you might think. I hope we did well.
In the original script for Oregon Trail, Matt came down with typhoid fever and cholera. I asked him to change cholera to dystentery, in keeping with DC tradition. (In the Oregon Trail skit done a few years ago by Joel Hilton and Aaron Allen, Donny Osmond dies of dysentery, and they have a moment of silence "for the big D.O.") Then I was delighted to see that in Jeff's video, the cow his hamburger came from had also been afflicted with dysentery.
I asked Jeff where he got that monstrosity of a burger for his Carl's Sr video. He said he made it himself. *shudder*
One of the objects used in the Victoria's Secret halftime was supposed to be a dinner plate. Our props mistress painted the word "SEXY" onto it, but the "Y" followed the curve of the plate so closely that when they held it up, all the audience could really see was the word "SEX." That was pushing the boundaries a little too far, so the plate had to be replaced. Now we call it "our sex plate."
9:00 audiences are usually more rowdy than 7:00 crowds, and not necessarily in a good way. This was certainly true this weekend when people in our Friday 9:00 audience started chucking their glowsticks back at the people on stage. After a couple of cast members got hit, we stopped throwing out glowsticks. A few years ago, Mary got hit in the mouth with one, and the person who threw it was banned from future shows. We didn't ban anyone this time, but for the record, their actions were not appreciated. Well, they were not appreciated by members of Divine Comedy. They may have been appreciated by the people at the Saturday shows who got all the extra glowsticks and candy that had been withheld on Friday.
So, it was a fun weekend. I love it when people I know come to watch, so check out our website for March and April show dates (and our new picture--see if you can pick out who was Photoshopped in!). I'd love to see you there.
7 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment