Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I Voted! and I've Got the Sticker to Prove It

This morning I went and voted in the presidential primaries. I haven't voted that many times in my life, so I'm always a little surprised at how good it makes me feel when I've done it.

My friend, The Canadian, asked me a few weeks ago who I was pulling for. I told him I hadn't decided yet, because I didn't feel like I'd done enough research to make an educated decision. He kind of scoffed at this and told me that I should just pick someone because I'd never get around to reading as much as I wanted to. I'll admit that I was taken aback by this affront, but I think it made me more determined to do what I said I'd do. So, I started reading about the candidates and where they stood on issues. A girl at work is helping with the campaign for one of the candidates, and I asked her a lot of questions and pushed her a bit on some of the things I felt uneasy about.

As a result, I feel like my vote today meant something, because I didn't "just pick someone."

1 comment:

ambrosia ananas said...

Nice work. Someday I too will be a responsible voter. I hope.