Background: The office I work for is part of a group of offices all housed under the same director. Most of the offices work together and interact often, but one of them is downstairs, so not everyone knows them as well. I am privileged to be good friends with the downstairs people, so they’ve kind of accepted me as a foster employee.
Story: Yesterday just before noon, someone told me that the manager of the downstairs office was looking for me, so I called her. She said, “Oh good, you’re there! Ok, everybody ready?” and I heard a chorus of voices on speakerphone start singing “Happy Birthday” to me! I thought it was sweet but kind of random, since my birthday isn’t till next week. When the song ended, she said, “We wanted to celebrate your birthday early so we didn’t miss it, so come on down! We’re having a party for you!”
I was stunned! I thought they were just being cute and singing to me, and it turned out that they’d planned this for me, and people had brought food so we could have lunch. Even BJ, who only works one day a week, showed up. (I’m sure that had a lot to do with the food, but still….) I was quite moved by their kindness. Hooray for birthdays, and hooray for surprises!!
2 comments:
I like how we were chatting, and I had to step away for a moment, and when I came back, the last message I had from you said, "I just got invited to my own surprise party!" Classic.
I heart surprise parties. :-)
Post a Comment