In a remarkably happy stroke of good timing, I'm going to Montana this weekend. I love telling people that, because invariably, they pause and say, "...What?" as if it were not a perfectly natural and expected thing to fly to Montana for a weekend. (P.S. I can't say "Goin' to Montana!" without saying it like the guys who work at Pike's Place Fish Market.)
I'm going out there with my mom and grandma to visit my grandma's side of the family. I've only been there once, and the only things I remember about it are that my mom's cousins all have long hair, and the sun goes down at like 10:00 p.m. My interest in going is mostly to spend the weekend with my mom and grandma; the location is merely a side note. But my grandma likes to go see her relatives, so my mom tries to make that happen for her annually. And if they're going to Montana anyway, why not go the weekend of the wedding of...one of the family members who've I've probably never met?
Since I don't know the bride (I think it's the bride that I'm related to), I don't anticipate this being an extremely significant event. As I said, I'm just going to see my mom and grandma and get away for a couple of days. However, my mom forwarded me an email written by a family member who will be there, and in it was the sentence, "We are all looking forward to getting to see you and think it is a special treat to have [Miss Berrie] coming."
Whoa. "Special treat"? Where'd that come from? I don't even KNOW the woman who wrote that! I must say I was flattered and probably even touched, but along with those feelings of warmth came a new concern: I'm going to have to impress these people. From what I know, they are predisposed to like me since we're family and they're very nice. But still, I'd like to look nice while I'm there, which shouldn't be hard, because it's a wedding, right?
Let me share with you more excerpts from the email:
It has been raining a lot (snow predicted for higher elevations tonight...) As far as we know the wedding is in the church close to our house and the reception is in a 'barn' on the road to the Gallatin Canyon so I don’t think you need pack your 6 inch heels...All southerners will need to pack warm coverings because nights are still quite chilly (yes, Mary, you do need a hot water bottle).
So, let's recap: It's a wedding; it's in a barn; and it's going to be cold. What the heck does one wear to a wedding in a barn? Some of my more helpful friends have offered suggestions such as "overalls and a cowboy hat," or "black jeans." However, even if I thought this would be the quickest way to impress my relatives, I do not own such apparel. So I'm left with the task of figuring out what to wear in a barn, while looking nice, but not too nice.
Oh, and I can't forget to bring my hot water bottle.
7 months ago
2 comments:
Are we reading the same letter? Let's be accurate here. As I understand it, the wedding is not in a barn. The reception, however, may or may not be in a barn. I don't always understand what people mean when they put 'words' in 'quotation marks'.
No, really, what does 'that' mean?
P.S. fingers crossed that I typed the captcha word correctly.
So, I think when you come back to the big TX we're going to have to make sure you have a pair of overalls and a cowboy hat for when you venture back to UT. ;) We are Texans!! :)
Post a Comment