Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Lions and Buffalo and Sharks! Oh my!

I love going home, and I always have a wonderful time and leave with lots of great memories. I thought I'd share a few that made this visit unique.

Our stake had its Pioneer Day celebration while I was home. My brother and his wife and kids met us there, so we got to watch my nephews run around and watch the horse and buggy, jump in the jumping castle, view the fireworks with hands over ears and terror on face, and have a very funny first taste of cotton candy (it didn't go over so well). Knowing my nephews would be there made this event all the more highly anticipated, but the other thing that intrigued everyone about the event was the menu--freshly prepared wild hog and buffalo. *blink blink* I'm serious. There's a dude in our stake that had these animals and, um, provided them for our eating "pleasure." (When we pulled up, there was a trailer in the parking lot. I looked at it and said, "I hope that's not how the buffalo got here.") After dinner, we were all united in our gratitude that we are not pioneers and do not have to eat buffalo ever again.

Another sweet moment at home was the viewing of the Christian the Lion video with my parents. They'd seen it on the Today show and had us all watch it. If you don't know the story, just click this link. I love big cats, and I'm also a sucker for stories about friends being reunited. I tear up every time I watch.

The last thing I'll share in this post was the project my mom and I undertook for my nephews. It was all her idea; I just invited myself to participate. She had some muffin mix, a few different kinds of frosting, and a box of Twinkies, and I could not imagine WHAT she was planning to do with such an odd mix of ingredients. She said, "I'm going to make shark cupcakes for the boys." I couldn't imagine how she planned to do this, but obviously I was forgetting that I should never underestimate how amazing my mother is. Here's the final product:

My nephew was pretty excited when we told him he got to eat one. I think he was a little unsure, though. Who wouldn't be, when they were about to bite the head off of Jaws?

No comments: