Monday, August 11, 2008

Why Else Would I Dream about a Tasmanian Devil?

I dreamed about Tasmanian devils last night. (And I just learned from my spell-check that it is "Tasmanian," not "Tazmanian." Who knew?) In the dream, someone was saying that Tasmanian devils are a lot more dangerous that we realized, and sure enough, the little devil that they had there got provoked and started FREAKING OUT. It gnashed its teeth and snarled and scratched, and if it hadn't been on a chain, it would've been bad news for everyone in the area. I was terrified, having been completely converted to a fear of Tasmanian devils.

The next thing I remember about the dream was that wherever we were (sort of like a mall setting with lots of people in a pretty open area), some Tasmanian devils got out. The people around me and I were alerted to this just early enough that we were able to make a run for it and get to a safe area. Then we turned around and saw that there were many children and babies who'd been left behind, still in easy reach of the ferocious creatures. We watched in horror as we realized that the children were probably going to be torn to shreds. Then I woke up.

I described this dream to my student employee at work, and he asked me what I've been feeling most prevalently lately. I said, "Terror, because I'm starting graduate school." He surmised that the Tasmanian devils represented graduate school. And it IS dangerous, but it will stay chained, because I'm not a child. Meaning, it will be hard, but I can handle it.

Oddly enough, this made me feel much better.

No comments: