Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What Have They Got that I Ain't Got? Courage!

Courage is a funny thing. It's often touted as the ultimate problem-solver, like if you have courage, everything will turn out perfectly. I think that's a good way to think about it (even if that's not always true), because if you thought that weren't the case, how would anyone ever have courage at all? Why would you go and do something scary if you had no hope it was going to turn out well? (And I acknowledge that "well" can mean different things, according to each situation.)

In the past few days, I've witnessed some incredible displays of courage among my friends. Not possessing much courage myself, I watched in admiration as they left the comforts of stability in hopes of something better. I thought, "I'd never be able to do that." Then last night I was presented with the opportunity to be brave, and inspired by those friends, I took it.

And guess what. It didn't end happily ever after with sunshine and rainbows made of puppies and everything perfect in the world. But it was resolved in a way that was happy enough, and I'm better off now than I would have been if I hadn't taken the opportunity. I think being able to recognize that is its own kind of courage.

No comments: