Friday, October 17, 2008

Miracles Happen

Author's Note: Sometimes when I say things like, "Miracles happen," I'm using hyperbole to express that something good just happened. In this case, I am not exaggerating.

As of 1:09 p.m. today, my midterm is done. This assignment was the WORST assignment I've ever had to do. For an entire week, I was paralyzed by my own ignorance. I had no idea what to write. None. Not even a little bit. Then when it got to be a week before the due date, I simply HAD to write something. I worked painstakingly each day for hours at a time, and very slowly picked away at the project. One night I stayed late at my office to work on it, and after I couldn't stand it anymore, I saved it to my thumbdrive (which I'd been doing periodically through the evening), and took it home. When I got home, I put the disk in and discovered that several changes had not been saved. I was really tired and couldn't really deal with the possibility that I'd lost all the work I'd done in the past few hours, so I just turned my computer off and got ready for bed.

If I had to give a very casual version of my prayers that night, it would sound something like, "Heavenly Father, I don't know what happened to my paper. I thought I'd saved it, but I don't think it did. I cannot handle redoing all that work. I just can't. Please let there be some way that my work wasn't lost."

The next morning, I came to work and put in my thumb disk. I know that prayers are heard and answered, but I didn't know what I'd find when I opened the file. I opened it up and found the same thing I'd found the night before. But before I could even feel a stab of panic, I thought, "Maybe I should look on the hard drive." I remembered saving my work to the hard drive early in the evening, but I knew I hadn't continued to do it as I'd written more. I didn't see why the latest version of my paper would be there, but I thought I might as well look anyway.

It was there. Everything I'd written (and even more than I'd remembered; I was so tired at that point that I'd forgotten some of the things I'd composed) was there, and I knew instantly that a miracle had occurred. There was no reason for that paper to have been saved on my computer, but there it was. I know Heavenly Father heard me and and answered my prayer.

2 comments:

erin said...

:)

By the way, my midterm is due tonight by midnight, and have I finished it? Nope. Think of me awake at 11:59...

Just kidding. I hope to finish by 10.

Megan said...

Yay!!! Isn't that the sweetest relief? The Lord totally looks out for me that same way. He never did for Katie in college, though--do you remember? Katie's computer always froze at inopportune moments--and even though she KNEW this, she NEVER saved her work!!! I can't even COUNT the number of times Katie's lost papers the day they were due. Tee hee hee. Okay--it's not really all that funny. And yet it is...maybe 'cause it happened to Katie and not me!