Monday, March 17, 2008

DC Lingo

As I was writing my post about the Divine Comedy March show, I realized that we have a lot of our own "lingo," that probably sounds weird to other people. For example, when talking about a specific show for the weekend, we say the day and time (e.g., the "Saturday 7:00 show"), even if it's that day. Here are some other DC-isms we commonly use:

Best Of--the show at the end of each semester which pulls our favorite skits from the semester and from the archives of DC

Dying 3--the skits chosen by a departing cast member to perform in that semester's Best Of show

Goosh--the final joke of a skit; the moment the lights go out (A commonly heard phrase at practice is, "We need a new goosh for this skit.")

Headliner--the long movie parody at the end of the show, usually involving lots of props, costumes, and technical work

Halftime--the skit designated to be performed about halfway through the show; this is not actually an intermission, but they sometimes involve audience members

Nine o'clocked--if a cast member ad libs something during the Saturday 9:00 show that catches another cast member off-guard (usually involves kissing), we say the second cast member was "nine o'clocked"

Superfans--the fans who have read each of our bios, know everything about the group, and come to the shows on a regular basis, often lining up more than an hour early, wearing their DC Fan! shirts

2 comments:

The Former 786 said...

Are people still kissing in the 9 o'clock show? I thought that died with me (and the lawsuit).

I'm glad these terms have now been immortalized on your blog. If I may I'd like to add some more:

UVSC show -- This is what we say when something is "too edgy" for BYU crowds and will probably never happen (i.e. "Save that line for the UVSC show")

My Baby -- This phrase was banned (by Tay-tay) when referring to your own skit. She was tired of hearing people say "I know that this skit is your baby, but we have to cut it." I can't blame her.

Rex! -- A commonly used phrase when we had any technical errors. ;)

Waffles! -- This was said when you missed your cue during a song. This comes from when Matt Stringham couldn't get his cue right for the Creamery on Ninth opening number (his first line was waffles).

Oh, there's more and I could go on, but this post is too long and I don't know if it's even going to be approved!

Miss Berrie said...

The Former, I am so honored to have you guest star on my blog. :-) And thanks for the additions to my list. It saddens me that so many of those have been lost among the group (except the "Rex!" one--I'm not sad to see that one go!).

And there's no more kissing in the Saturday 9:00 shows, but there's still ad libbing and other brands of merriment.