Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Delight of Birthday Cards

One of the delightful things about my birthday (or, "Carrie Gras," as it has been dubbed) is this stack of birthday cards sitting on my desk, amidst other much more boring and less personal paperwork. I thought I'd share some of the things in this stack that made me laugh.

First, on my card from the people at work, one kid wrote, "Happy birthday, [Miss Berrie]! I hope your day is filled with joy. Especially now that you're closer to death."

Another signature on that card is from a friend of mine who shares my opinion on the stupidity of so many buzzwords you hear in the business world, like "synergy" and "breaking down silos." At the seminar I attended on my birthday, the guy teaching used three of them in the same sentence, so I texted my friend immediately to share that happy news. The next day, I got my birthday card and saw that he had written, "[Miss Berrie], Hope your birthday brings new paradigms and synergies. Just remember to think outside the box when converging platforms."

The card from my parents said on the front, "There comes a time in every woman's life when she has to determind who she is going to be!" Inside it said, "I see you've chosen YOUNG and FABULOUS!"

Finally, the card from my friend BJ has a picture of two cats on the front. They're both wearing dresses and pearl necklaces, and they're sitting at a table drinking out of tea cups. The first one says, "So, are you going to pee in the dining room again?" The second one responds, "I don't know. I was thinking maybe the family room. It's sunnier." The inside of the card says, "Good friends help with the tough decisions."

Thank you, one and all, for the birthday greetings and warm wishes!

No comments: