Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Flash Mob

A couple of weeks ago, I got an invitation on Facebook to participate in a flash mob. There were instructions about where to meet and what signals to listen for. I thought it would be a fun and unique experience, so I went to the campus quad at the designated time.

It was obvious that something was going on, because there were about 1,400 people just milling around. I looked around to see if I could find anyone I knew, but in the middle of my search, I heard the signal. Suddenly, all 1,400 of us froze in place. (I hadn't quite been ready for it, so I had to freeze in the most boring position ever.) It was funny to see the people who HADN'T been aware of what was happening, because they all kept moving, and when everyone else froze, they were like, "Uhhh...." and they didn't know if they should stop too or not.

After a minute, the second signal was given, and as per our instructions, we all unfroze and kept walking to wherever we were going. (However, I did hear a lot of cheering and high-fiving as I walked backed to work.)

1 comment:

alishka babushka said...

so i really wanted to do this, but I had class during the time that it was to take place. These flash mob things are really cool. I'm glad you went and had fun!