In a small-scale way, I feel like my life was turned upside-down this weekend. When I got home from work on Thursday, exhausted though I was, I had to help clean the apartment for cleaning checks the next day. (I thought they were going to be on Saturday. I was most displeased to hear otherwise.) We were up till midnight, and then our managers didn't even come to check. Humph. Anyway, the point is that while trying to clean my room, I was reminded of how cluttered and packed full of stuff it was. Keep in mind that I've lived this way for two years, feeling powerless to do anything about it. But I decided I'd had enough, so I spent all of Friday evening getting rid of stuff. Tubs that had been full of random junk were emptied, leaving room for things I actually need and use. In the end, the shelf above my desk is nearly empty, my closet is COMPLETELY reorganized, and miracle of miracles--there is now space under my bed. Maybe some of you will not fully appreciate it, but I honestly did not think this was possible.
While I was working on my room, Duchess moved out, taking with her much of the decor and furnishings from our apartment. B and I saw this as an opportunity to decorate and furnish the way we wanted to before anyone else moved in, so we knew we needed to act fast. And where else could we go for that but IKEA?
We made a list of things we needed to replace, measured several things, and then were off. We were in IKEA for three and a half hours. Part of the reason was the ginormity of the store, and part of it was B and I trying to make decisions about what we want in our apartment. It was exhausting. However, we still managed to come out with a ton of stuff. We also had to stop at Target, where I got what I needed to redecorate my bathroom, since Duchess took basically everything. That was the most fun, because the room looks completely different.
I was glad to be busy all day, because with just two of us in the apartment now, it's pretty quiet. Duchess leaving was a big change in and of itself, but now everything inside has been moved around and altered, so it's all different as well. I don't handle change well, so her empty room, my new bathroom, and unrecognizable bedroom are all a little overwhelming. It doesn't even feel like I'm home.
Oh, and P.S. I bought the wrong light bulbs at IKEA. AGAIN.
7 months ago
2 comments:
You're telling me. And I haven't even actually moved into my new place yet!
changes of of semester/moving/all that that entails are officially the best, worst, and hardest part of being in Provo. It was always really hard for me too, and better when I was able to stay busy!
Post a Comment