Monday, September 8, 2008

Four Years of Greatness (or Something)

When I walked into work this morning, my boss was standing in the doorway, grinning at me. I halted, and she exclaimed, "Happy anniversary!" I blinked at her, then looked around and saw a big sign on the wall that said, "Happy anniversary, [Miss Berrie]!" She said, "Today is four years since you started working here!"

Wow. I didn't even remember that. She surprised me further by handing me a flower from everyone in our little area. I was quite touched. But it didn't stop there. Our student employee pulled out a pan of coffee cake that he'd made to celebrate the occasion! No peanut butter sandwich for breakfast today! I couldn't believe they'd both been in on it. Shortly after that, our afternoon employee came in, hours before her shift started, and my boss said, "Staff meeting!" I followed everyone in, and my boss was standing there uncovering a pan of my new favorite dessert and holding out a card, which I discovered upon opening, had been signed by all of the people I am closest to in the office. I really couldn't believe that anyone knew it was my "anniversary" and that they did all this just for me.

Here are some of my favorite entries on the card:
"[Miss Berrie] girl, Can't believe it! You don't look 4 years older! (hee hee) You're the best! Love ya," etc.

"Congrats! Can you believe you've been able to stand us for this long?"

"Wow, time goes so fast. 4 years already? Cool! Congratulations. I love you lots."

"[Miss Berrie], Happy anniversary! I'm so glad we all work together. Thank you for keeping things interesting and for being such a good friend. Love you!"

"Dear [Miss Berrie], I'm so happy you are here! Thanks for the last 4 years and here's to at least 4 more! *raises glass* *clank* You're great!")

"Happy [Miss Berrie] Appreciation Day! How do I express all the stuff I should say? I don't really know, so this will have to do."

And my favorite, from the boss of everyone:
"[Miss Berrie], These have been the happiest 4 years of my life. :-) Happy anniversary!"

So funny. I am really touched and surprised by all of this. When I started this job four years ago, my life was very, very different than it is now, and I was, I think, quite a different person than I am now. I've been through a lot, good and bad, since I've been here, and whatever minor annoyances I mention about the people here, they've supported and loved me the entire time. I know I don't want to be here forever, but I'm grateful that I've had this one constant in my life.

1 comment:

vanessa said...

Oh happy anniversary. What a fun day! I think I started working there a week or so before you so that brings back memories. (Although I never even got to two years!)