Thursday, September 4, 2008

Insights into My Soul, via The Office

It's no secret that I am a big fan of the show The Office. I've seen every episode (and memorized most). I have The Office stationery. The wallpaper on my computer is from The Office. I'll stop there because I'm tired of italicizing. The point is, I'm a fan. And because of that, I always set my Gmail chat status to be a quote from the show. Originally, I picked random ones that I thought were especially funny. Then I developed more structure and started making up rules, like, it had to be from the most recently-aired episode. Now I've settled into the challenge of choosing quotes that express my current feelings or relate to things that are going on in my life. Here are some examples:

When I bought my iPod:
"Who wants to take paintball lessons? How is that better than an iPod?" and, "Everyone wants the iPod. It’s a huge hit. It is almost a Christmas miracle." --Michael, "Christmas Party," season 2

When I got back from visiting my family:
"I love my Mom. Okay. That's probably really the most obvious statement ever." --Pam, "Sexual Harrassment," season 2

During the Olympics:
"This scented candle...andle...andle, that I found in the men's bathroom...room...room, represents the eternal burning of competition... or something." --Jim, "Office Olympics," season 2

Starting school:
"I did not go to business school. You know who else didn’t go to business school? LeBron James, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant. They went right from high school to the NBA, so … so it’s not the same thing, at all." --Michael, "The Fire," season 2

also

"Campus. Brings back so many memories, that I would have made." --Michael, "Business School," season 3

Today, after a discouraging week, my quote is from Pam. There are many things about Pam with which I can totally identify. So I let her speak for me:
"It’s impractical, I’m not going to try to get a house like that. Um, they don’t even make houses like that in Scranton. So I’m never gonna … (breaks down in tears)." --Pam, "Boys and Girls," season 2

1 comment:

Megan said...

Hee hee! "The Office" is THE BEST SHOW EVER!!! One of my all-time favorite quotes is during the Diversity Day episode when Michael forces everyone to play that stupid cultural guessing game:

Pam: "Okay, if I have to do this, based on stereotypes that are totally untrue, that I do not agree with, you would...maybe not be a very good driver."

Dwight: "Aw man, am I a woman?"