Monday, September 22, 2008

A Travesty, If I've Ever Seen One

I went to Chili's on Saturday. I go to Chili's a lot. It's kind of the thing I do with my roommates. Quite often when we go, we talk ourselves into sharing an Awesome Blossom. ("Awesome Blossom, extra awesome, please, Megan." Yes, I say that every time.) It's sort of the reason I GO to Chili's. I've noticed their other food becoming more and more ordinary, but not the Awesome Blossom. The Awesome Blossom has remained faithful and scrumptious, oh, these many years. I remember the first time we ever got one. It was on a family vacation, and we were taken aback by this creation, the likes of which we'd never seen. It became the symbol of Chili's.

On Saturday, I opened my menu and flipped to the front to say hi to my friend, the Awesome Blossom, but I couldn't find it. I looked on the special "appetizer/dessert/drink/anything else we can use to squeeze money out of you menu." No Awesome Blossom. Duchess dared to suggest that maybe they didn't have it anymore, which I immediately parried with the reminder that the Awesome Blossom is at the heart of Chili's. Then our waitress came up, and B asked about it. Her answer drove a knife through all which I hold dear.

Chili's has removed the Awesome Blossom from its menu. This is like Lucky Charms taking marshmallows out of its cereal. This is like Disneyland taking Sleeping Beauty's Castle of its park. This is like Apple taking the annoying out of its commercials.

As Treebeard the Ent once exclaimed, "There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for this treachery."

2 comments:

erin said...

A travesty indeed. I'm sure our arteries, however, are not too sad.

Megan said...

Outback! Go to Outback Steakhouse. The food isn't that great, but they DO have the Blossom!!! Best reason to go there, methinks.